[ltp] Re: How do I find what winmodem I have ? And how do I get USB running ?

Madhusudan Singh linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

> > I have an IBM i1300 Thinkpad running RH Linux 7.1. lspci -vv does not
> > reveal any modem devices (just an Intel 82557 Ethernet controller and a
> > bunch of Acer multimedia controllers).
> >
> > The order stated that it has a 56K+10/100 LAN setup. Indeed, there are
> > two adjacent ports at the back that look like an ethernet port and a
> > modem port.
> >
> > How do I find out what kind of modem is it ?
> >
> > Second question.
> >
> > How do I get USB running on this ? I had to install using linux nousb
> > (it would freeze at /sbin/loader otherwise).
> >
> > When I boot now, I have to pass linux nousb at LILO prompt as it
> > otherwise hangs at Starting USB controller usb-ohci.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> You should look at the serial controller when it display after your command
> of lspci -vv. I am using a T22 and it shows that mine is a lucent chipset
> with Intel 82557 Ether-controller.
> you should be able to see the line after all of the Ether detection

Here is the complete output from the Ethernet section (I grepp'ed for the
word "serial" - there was no o/p).

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 08)
Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp.: Unknown device 0010 (<---- Is this
the modem ?)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ Busmaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- Fast B2B-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32 (2000ns min, 14000ns max), cache line size 08
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 6
Region 0: Memory at 80100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Region 1: I/O ports at 7000 [size=64]
Region 2: Memory at 80200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Expansion ROM at 80300000 [disabled] [size=1M]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
	Flags : PMEC1k- DSI+ D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)

That is all in the Ethernet controller section.

Other sections are :

00:00.0 Host bridge(Acer)
00:01.0 PCI bridge (Acer)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller (Acer)
00:07.0 ISA bridge (Acer)

00:10.0 IDE interface (Acer)
00:11.0 Bridge (Acer)
00:13.0 CardBus bridge (02 Micro)
00:14.0 USB Controller (Acer)
01.00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident microsystems

Had to type all this as the thing is a standalone right now.