[ltp] T23 (2647-5KU) with Linux and X?

Michael Nelson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:52:46 -0700

Hello All

I'm brand new here, so is my machine (TP23, model 2647-5KU).
It's a great machine, and I'd love to be able to use Linux with
X on it.

I used Partition Magic to give about 25GB to Linux and
successfully installed RedHat 7.1 on it, but I'm unable to get
X working in any mode other than using the frame buffer server
in 800x600 256 colors, and frankly, it SUCKS, bigtime.

I can't find ANY X server that supports the video chip (S3
Super Savage/IXC SDR.  There is XFree86 support for some of the
Savage cards, but none of them work with this thing.

I also checked the Accelerated X demo of their laptop server,
and it just reports that the chip is unkown.

xig.com does have a deal where if you loan them your machine
for a month, they write a driver and install it and send the
machine back to you with the driver installed and with a full
shrinkwrap copy of the software with support and everything,
but I'm not wild about losing the machine for month.

Anyone have X working in any satisfactory manner with this
machine?

Thanks
Michael

--

                    "# chmod a+x /bin/laden"

Michael Nelson                                  San Francisco, CA