[ltp] Arrgghhh. Sound Problems Now...

Jerry Barber linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:15:57 -0700

Michael,
I tried your instruction for adding the the S3 driver and had a few problems
(I'm using Mandrake 8.1 beta):

> -> Could you describe to me how you got X working.  I've had lots of
problems
> -> it.  The adapter on my machine is a S3 SuperSavage/IXC.  I assume it's
the
> -> same as yours but I did not find a driver for this on the S3 website.
>
> Yeah, it's sure not obvious from the descriptions.
>
> Get the "290-298drv for Savage MX-/IX".
>
> There are versions for XFree 4.0.3 and 4.1.  Extract whichever
> one you need (it'll extract into the current directory), and
> then copy "savage_drv.o" to

I used the 4.1 version...

>   /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o

There was no 'drivers' subdirectory so I just dropped it in 'modules'.  Did
the other things you suggested below but it had no effect.  The system still
came up thinking my chipset was 'oxygen' or something like that and the new
S3 driver wasn't there...  Did I miss something?
Jerry