[ltp] [770x] Problem with XFree86 V4.1.0.1 and screen size

Vivek linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:37:33 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Adam Benjamin wrote:

> Here's what I *can* tell you.  I run at 770E, and I noticed that when
> I use a lower resultion, the actual resolution doesn't change - I
> simply use less of the screen.  The solution?  Run the system at
> 1024x768.  Things look fine when I do that.  I get the nice black
> border otherwise.

You may also be able to turn on an H/V expansion option in your bios, if
yout machine has one, which makes the graphics hardware stretch the display
to fill the available real estate. One of the differences between LCDs and
CRTs is that LCDs really only have the number of physical pixels stated in
their specs, whereas CRTs have many more, and just sort of smear your
picture onto the display, as it were, something LCDs can't do w/o special
hardware to do the smearing for them.