[ltp] Strange APM problem with RH Linux on IBM Thinkpad

Madhusudan Singh linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

System config :
	RH Linux 7.1 (2.4.2-2)
	IBM Thinkpad i1300

I had run startx (still running in run level 3) and logged in as root. The
battery indicator was 100 % and the power was plugged in.

I was compiling kernel-2.4.3-12.
(make'ing bzImage after make xconfig, make dep and make clean).

Near the end of the compile, the battery indicator fell away to 0 % and I
started getting low battery notifications. (I was not looking at the
system while this was going on, I just heard a beep and then stared at
it.).

Luckily, was able to finish the make and rebooted (had to switch off
power, everything froze) into win98. The indicator there shows 98 %.

Even when I reboot into Linux (which takes about 15 secs), the battery
power is back to 97%+.

I know that the battery does not recharge as fast as that (takes more like
20 minutes, starting from near zero charge). So the above phenomenon is
not "real", merely some APM quirk.

I have been able to reproduce it later under different conditions (just
running fetchmail but it did not repeat when I ran fetchmail again).

Utterly puzzled.