H/V expansion - was Re: [ltp] [770x] Problem with XFree86 V4.1.0.1 and screen size

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:08:14 +0200

On Saturday, 29. September 2001 14:37, Vivek wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Adam Benjamin wrote:
> > Here's what I *can* tell you.  I run at 770E, and I noticed that when
> > I use a lower resultion, the actual resolution doesn't change - I
> > simply use less of the screen.  The solution?  Run the system at
> > 1024x768.  Things look fine when I do that.  I get the nice black
> > border otherwise.
>
> You may also be able to turn on an H/V expansion option in your bios, if
> yout machine has one, which makes the graphics hardware stretch the display
> to fill the available real estate. One of the differences between LCDs and

At least on my TP 765L H/V expansion only works if I'm in standard VGA text
mode (640x400?). In other modes (e.g. 800x600 in the X-server) pressing Fn-F8
doesn't do anything.

I use "vga=5" as a kernel parameter (to get more lines in the console) which
also seems to disable the Fn-F8-key (I shouldn't say "disable" because I can
see a short flicker when I press it, which indicates that it tries to do
something with the display). I can only switch between expanded/not expanded
mode in the boot menu. After that I can't switch the state anymore.

BTW., does anyone know how to get a real 1024x768 text mode in the console
with a TP 765L (Trident Cyber9385)? I tried vga16 frame buffer console, but
fbset complains about too few memory (I tried various color depths from 1 to
4 bit). It will work up to 800x600 but fails with 1024x768. VESA framebuffer
doesn't work because there is no VESA 2.0, only 1.2. I also tried
SVGATextMode, but I wasn't able to find a working mode larger than 640x480.
All I got was a display with a smaller font to have more lines.

Tino