[ltp] Ultrabay...Does it work, or not?

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 07:38:12 +0900

At 02:44 01/09/30, Markus Alt wrote:
>With regard to other IDE devices (e.g. a 2nd HDD), I haven't had any
>success so far when trying to "warm-swap" them, even though I tried to
>unregister/register with "hdparm". If someone has managed to do this,
>I'm also very interested in hearing from it ...

If you force re-initialization of whole ide1 interface, you could.
You maybe able to access hdc, however tweaking with DMA setting
there after can cause a mess.  You probably end up using the
device in PIO mode.

I worked on it over a year ago with my TP570 with UltraBase,
and was able to get 2nd hard disk drive recognized.  But
repeated warm swapping was unstable.

Writing all this reminds me that there were things that I didn't
figure out, such as setting up hdc in CMOS.

Geo