[ltp] Suspend on T23

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:12:15 -0500

On 1 Apr 2002 14:04, Geert Janssen wrote:
> Dear Fellow Thinkpadders,
>
> My employer was kind enough to buy me a T23.
> I installed RedHat 7.1 on it and I am running a 2.4.9-12 kernel.
> I use KDE and Fvwm95 with X4.0.

Can I first ask why you went with RH 7.1?

7.2 has been out for quite some time and seems to be an improvement.

> Whenever I suspend (apm -s) X tends to get in trouble after a resume:
> The system completely hangs. I have this behavior with the 2 window managers
> mentioned above and I already excluded USB support from loading.
> Any help here? And what is the status of truely hibernating on a T23
> (I do have a dual-boot possibility into Win2000).

I have a dual-boot T23 (XP/Linux). I have no problems with suspending
and restoring except that the screen background color gets messed up
(grey instead of whatever garish color I used to have) after I
restore. 'xrefresh' fixes this.

I'm running a vanilla 2.4.17 with my own set of options, and USB is
definitely activated. (I only use it for my digital camera, however,
so it's usually not active when I'm suspending.)

My window manager is CTWM, but from what you say, it doesn't seem to
be the window manager that gets you in trouble. Have you tried
switching to the console and back?

Hibernation is a different matter, I haven't even tried to get that
working. I was considering nuking the restore-partition and see if I
can use that partition for the hibernation file (it it works anything
like on my old 600X).

/Björn