[ltp] question for the list

Robert Munro linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:46:50 -0800

A couple of years ago I had a 770X that I got working under Linux
(hacked the XFree86 config file to work somehow, posted it here).

Time has passed and I worked for IBM for awhile but didn't install
Linux on IBM's T21 loaded with Win2K.  Now I can use your help.

Is there any easiest model IBM Thinkpad for working under Linux?

I've been following the list desultorily, and it appears most models
(especially rather old and very new ones) have various difficulties,
including hibernate/suspend, video drivers, sound, networking, etc.

Are there other vendors' notebooks that are more friendly to Linux?

I mean, I've learned to love IBM Thinkpads in a way, but the Linux
question seems relevant.  Acer, Asus, Micron, even Dell, Toshiba?
(But, I realize this might be the wrong place for asking about this.)

The reason I ask is that I've gotten involved in an OSS/FS startup -
in a consulting capacity, so I don't think using any Win2K notebook
will cut it.  Best case is a notebook that runs Mandrake or RedHat.
I can of course dual-boot, but I'd rather use only Linux for this work.

Best regards,
Robert Munro

Principal
Olliance Consulting Group