[ltp] question for the list

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 05:27:11 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Robert Munro wrote:

<SNIP>
   Is there any easiest model IBM Thinkpad for working under Linux?

   I've been following the list desultorily, and it appears most models
   (especially rather old and very new ones) have various difficulties,
   including hibernate/suspend, video drivers, sound, networking, etc.

For the older, I have a Thinkpad 701c that runs nothing but Linux. But
that would probably not be a very useful machine.

For something newer, I also have a 240 with Linux. I set it up for
dual boot when I first got it. Recently I put in a new bigger HD, and
now it is Linux only. It did hibernate when it was dual boot, but
hibernate/restore took as long as shutting down, booting, and starting
apps. I have not yet bothered to get the hibernate working with the
new disk. Modem works, as does sound and X.

The trick to installing in both cases is a pcmcia SCSI adapter, and a
SCSI cdrom.

   Are there other vendors' notebooks that are more friendly to Linux?

I once coaxed Linux onto a Toshiba Libretto. It was not pretty.