[ltp] question for the list

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:55:15 +0200

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 05:27:11 -0800, Ken Firestone wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Robert Munro wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>    Is there any easiest model IBM Thinkpad for working under Linux?
>
>    I've been following the list desultorily, and it appears most models
>    (especially rather old and very new ones) have various difficulties,
>    including hibernate/suspend, video drivers, sound, networking, etc.
>
> For the older, I have a Thinkpad 701c that runs nothing but Linux. But
> that would probably not be a very useful machine.
>
> For something newer, I also have a 240 with Linux. I set it up for
> dual boot when I first got it. Recently I put in a new bigger HD, and
> now it is Linux only. It did hibernate when it was dual boot, but
> hibernate/restore took as long as shutting down, booting, and starting
> apps. I have not yet bothered to get the hibernate working with the
> new disk. Modem works, as does sound and X.
>
> The trick to installing in both cases is a pcmcia SCSI adapter, and a
> SCSI cdrom.
>

>    Are there other vendors' notebooks that are more friendly to Linux?
>
> I once coaxed Linux onto a Toshiba Libretto. It was not pretty.

I agree. Many other manufacturers rely on windows functionality for power
management, hardware control etc. Apart from a DOS disk that contains
ps2.exe to tweak some settings you don't need to fiddle around with
DOS/Windows on a ThinkPad.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG