[ltp] question for the list

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:01:59 -0500

On the subject of which manufacturers machines are "most linux friendly", its
not really an easy question to answer. Manufacturers don't build machines for
Linux compatibility (though there are a couple of specialty laptop houses
that do specialize in linux laptops), so what you find is that no one machine
is 100% supported, and no manufacturer is consistent across models of their
line.

That being said, IBM's machines seem to be very consistently well supported.
IBM tends to use very common hardware and adds few oddball features or
bizarre hacks to their machines.

I have a 380ED and an A20p both running Mandrake. There are a few minor
features I've never gotten around to sorting out, like the video processing
features of the A20p.

I'd also have to say that even with the hard work of zillions of people that
Linux as a desktop/laptop OS is still behind the curve compared to windows.
You simply cannot expect it to work as smoothly. That being said, when
windows goes bad its usually pretty ugly. At least you CAN try to fix Linux,
though thats small consolation when the fix takes 300 hours to code and debug!

As far as doing OSS development work, it really depends on what you are
doing. Perl, Apache, and MySQL work perfectly on windows, so if you are doing
some webapp development you hardly NEED Linux (though its convenient for
sure), and in some ways windows is an easier system to use. For other work it
may still be easier to use windows as a client machine and have Linux on a
server.