[ltp] Enabling Intellimouse with Linux

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
05 Apr 2002 21:08:06 -0500

On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 18:43, Rob Bell wrote:
> I have the following Linux environment into which I'd like to set up an
> Intellimouse (wheel mouse).  I would like to use the wheel button as
> either a third button or to scroll the command buffer in a Gnome
> terminal.

IIRC the Intellimouse doesn't have a third button.

The wheel should work, although you may have to disable
the TrackPoint.  See the mouse section on my web page:
  http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm#secmouse
for more information.

> My main goal is to be able to highlight and paste text within
> a terminal window.  Is this possible?  Could someone walk me through how
> to set this up?

For cut and paste you need the third button, which you don't
have on your mouse.  Maybe 3rd-button-emulation will work
instead --- I believe that works by pressing left and right
buttons at the same time.

--
Thomas Hood