[ltp] Enabling Intellimouse with Linux

Justin C linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:27:19 +0100

On Saturday 06 April 2002 14:22, you wrote:

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier  "Mouse0"
> Driver      "mouse"
> #
> Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
> Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> Option      "Device" "/dev/psmouse"
> Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

You've got two protocol lines there, mine only has the one:

	Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"

and the "Device" line reads "/dev/mouse" not "/dev/psmouse" but this
could be distro dependant.... In fact, here is my whole 'mouse' section:

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

EndSection

I don't know why the emulate 3 buttons part is there but I'm of the
opinion that `if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

You don't have gpm running as well do you? GPM and the X mouse stuff
don't work well together. Try (as root):

# killall gpm

If you mouse starts behaving afterwards then that was your problem,
remove gpm from your init scripts - you won't have a mouse at the
command line but it can be started `by hand' if needed.

--
Justin C by the sea.