[ltp] TP 760 Suspends on boot

Victor Wagner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:34:27 +0400 (MSD)

When  I've bought new harddisk for my Thinpad 760ED
and installed newer version of Linux on it, i've experienced
some problems with apm.

It ends up with machine  going into suspend and refusing to resume.

Symptoms are following:

I've pressed Fn F4 as usial, and machine suspended.
When I've pressed Fn to resume, nothing happened.
Attempt to switch it off resulted in two beeps and nothing more.

I've tried to remove battery and replace it again.
After that screen turns on and booting begins.
But when it displayed /dev/hda partition check it turns of again
and suspend indicator lights. Attempt to use power-off switch result
in two beeps again.

I've tried to boot distributive kernel without apm support from floppy,
but result is the same.

Next time I've tried to enter Easy setup, and choose Initialize in
System menu. Nothing changed.

Tried to connect old disk which was perfectly working before. No effect.

What can I do to put system into working order, even without working
APM?

Some information of my system:

Old setup - Debian 2.2 (potato) apmd 3.0final

New setup Debian 3.0 (woody) apmd 3.0.2

Kernel is the same in both cases 2.2.19. Unfortunately I do not
have it's config handy.

Distributive kernel I've booted from was 2.2.20-compact from woody.

New disk is TOSHIBA 01435A, 40Gb.
Old disk IBM DCRA-22110, 2.1GB

--
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88