[ltp] Urgent:No boot a tp600x bios update!

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:58:57 +0200 ((MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerzeit)

Hello,

On Friday morning at 10.20 AM I decided to update to the latest BIOS
version 1.11 for my Thinkpad 600x. The update went smoothly but as a
result I cannot start my linux system (SuSE 7.3) any more. When init
starts it suddenly blocks and falls asleep. Here are part of the
messages that I receive on the screen and I could not find in the log
files, so a handcopy from the screen:

Uncompressing linux ... Ok, booting the kernel
Linux version 2.4.10-rGB (root@Pentium.suse.de)
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
BIOS-e820:.... .  . . . . . . (usable)
BIOS-e820:			    (reserved)
BIOS-e820:			    (reserved)
BIOS-e820:				(usable)
.. . .
BIOS-e820:				(ACPI data)
BIOS-e820:				(ACPI NVS)
BIOS-e820:				(reserved)
BIOS-e820:				(reserved)
On node 0 total pages: 114540

Local ACPI disabled by BIOS -- reenabling
Could not enable APIC!
Kernel command line: auto BOOT-IMAGE=linux ro root=308
BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz
Enableapic vga=0x0314
VGA+ 80x25
. . .
mtrr: detected mtrr type: Intel
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd880, last bus =7
. . .
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Request_module[scsi-hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
TCP: Hash tabled configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
Net4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET 4.0
RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
Uncompressing . . . . . . . . . . . . done.

Freeing initrd memory:547k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
Using /lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.o
FAT: bogus logical sector size 48412
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 03:08)...
Using r5 hash to sort names
Reiserfs: using 3.5.x disk format, ReiserFS version 3.6.25
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly
Change_root: old root has d_count=2
Trying to unmoung old root ...okay
Freeing unused kernel memory:124k freed

INIT:	 version 2.78 booting
INIT:	 Entering run level:5
Id "1" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Id "2" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Id "3" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Id "4" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Id "5" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Id "6" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT:	no more processes left in this run level

 Here everything stops and computer falls asleep.
 I am still able, however, to browse through the window for the kernel
 messages. I can start in runlevel 1 with the 'linux single'
boot option. If I try to go to a higher level it ivariably gives me
the above 7 'respawhing' lines and stops.

I am still able to boot and run my windows partition. I checked the
root partition with 'reiserfsck', and the boot partition with 'fsck',
both are clear. Also the partition table is untouched according to
'fdisk' and in line with /etc/fstab/. I can also mount the windows
partitions from the single user mode.

The question is what could have gone so wrong with the BIOS update
that is able to confuse linux so much?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Regards,
Boyan