[ltp] Urgent:No boot a tp600x bios update!

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:02:02 +0200

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 04:05:14 +0200, Boyan wrote:
> Hello,
> > >
> > > INIT:	 version 2.78 booting
> > > INIT:	 Entering run level:5
> > > Id "1" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > Id "2" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > Id "3" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > Id "4" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > Id "5" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > Id "6" respawhing too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT:	no more processes left in this run level
> >
> > Have you enabled CONFIG_VT in you kernel?
>
> This is what I do not know for sure, since I use the stock suse
> kernel, never compiled one of my own.
>
> The story gets more involved since today I was actually able to
> fully run linux albeit as a single (none) user. Logged in with lilo.
> Whenever I try from there init 2 or 3 (console with network) the same
> errors come. On the other hand starting the services one by one for
> the given runlevel I eventually was able to reach level 5 and from
> there started xdm and had the usual kde2. Almost usual, because none
> of the configuration utilities work. Any click on Yast or Konsole
> gives me:
> "DCOP communication error (Konsole)
> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for
> KDE. The message returned by the system was:
> Authentication rejected, reason: None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed. Please,
> check that the "dcopserver" program is running."
>
> Now a check gives /opt/kde2/bin/dcopserver running.
>
> An attemt to umount with a mouse click the windows partition /dev/hda5
> (still mounted by the single user, was needed to write the log
> messages during the diagnostic process) gives me:
> "Could not start process, can't talk to Klauncher"
>
> What puzzles me (but may be a rule) is that never had I the option to
> change consoles with Alt-F2, F3 or Ctr-Alt-Fn the runlevel regardless.
> Only Alt-F1 was functional, the single user login. I logged out and in
> this time Gnome and again working as usual, but Yast still fails.
> Decided to reboot (not knowing what else can be done) and boot
> linux normally and crashed as described in the previous letter.

Appart from the KDE problems, there is something wrong with your virtual
consoles, but I can't really help you with the information you have
posted. What happens if you type '/sbin/getty 38400 tty2' in single user
mode and switch to VT2 (Alt-F2)?

Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG