[ltp] Problems with PCMCIA

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:44:58 -0500

That card is not supported, BUT that does not mean it can't be supported. The
first question is if there is a linux driver for the card at all. If there
is, then you can add the card to the list of known cards for cardctl (its
just a text file) and put the proper stuff in your modules.conf file, etc.
Really all the cardctl thing does is get a hotplug message from the kernel
and then go out, find the ident string for the card, look it up in its little
database, and load the corresponding driver with modprobe.

That being said, cardctl ident should ALWAYS identify even unknown cards. Try
it in both slots. You should be able to get a manufacturer ID string, which
is what it uses to find the proper driver.

One other thing, CardBus and PCMCIA are not 100% the same thing... CardBus
support may be enabled in your kernel, in which case you have to do things
different (though I honestly haven't ever messed with the in-kernel CardBus
stuff myself). I guess the plan is that all CardBus/PCMCIA support is being
migrated into the kernel. Mostly this is to solve problems with the order of
device initialization on boot. Right now there are some major ugly hacks in
place to handle initializing network cards after PCMCIA support starts etc.