[ltp] Problems with PCMCIA

Werner Horbelt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:33:13 +0200

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 07:24, Jason MacDermott wrote:
> Now that I can get some more Debian packages onto this system, I have run
> into another problem:  I'd like to get my CardBus (Ambicom 2100) PCMCIA
> Network card running.  I used "cardctl" to see if it detected the two
> PCMCIA ports, and it detected 2 Sockets (0 and 1).
>
> However, it tells me they are empty, even if I've restarted the system with
> the card in and hooked up.
>
> Does this mean that its not detecting my card at all, or that it just
> doesn't know what kind of card it is?  I've never used PCMCIA cards before,
> but I would have thought that "cardctl ident" would report the card
> detected, just unknown?

I'm a newbie but I spent some days recently to have my network PCMCIA cardbus
card (not explicitly supported) work on a thinkpad x20.
One problem was that the startup scripts loaded some wrong versions of the
modules from
/lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/drivers/pcmcia
, even when I renamed this directory.
Some file README-2.4 in the pcmcia-cs package siad I would need the
yenta_socket driver for cardbus but that turned out to be unnecessary, it
worked with the SuSE 7.3 standard kernel 2.4.10-4GB.
I haven't got it here right now so I can't check your symptoms but it might
help to provide the output from the following commands:

lsmod # shows which modules are loaded
ksyms -a # if kernel pcmcia support is used
cat /proc/version

and the kernel configuration file (less /proc/config.gz on SuSE)
and the boot messages, perhaps /var/log/dmesg?

Did you read the PCMCIA HOWTO?
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html

best wishes
werner