[ltp] Hardware q's tp 760

jjmckenzie51@earthlink.net linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:38:07 -0400

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Bill Turner wildbill@speakeasy.org
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 06:50:51 -0400
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject: [ltp] Hardware q's tp 760

Morning all,

I have a TP 760-EL (?) with P-120, 72MB RAM and 3GB IDE hdd.  Has the
LCD screen.  I bought the system used from a grad student at the U.W.
in Seattle and also got the original manuals and diskettes as he'd
been the only owner previously.  I run Linux on it exclusively.  Other
than the graphics being a bit lacking - which was the reason I got it
so cheap - it's a really nice system and I'm pleased with it.

I also have a docking station.  I have an internal floppy and 1 Li
battery.  I did have an external PCMCIA CDROM from Altec but that
"died" when the power supply cable "went south" and when I contacted
Altec I was told that they no longer made that anymore as it was
"obsolete" so now I have no CDROM.

I do not have docs for the docking station.  The questions I have are
pretty straight-forward and I did go to the IBM site first to do a bit
of looking around but couldn't find the info I was searching for.

1.  How would I go about getting things such as a replacement power
cord?  My laptop right now has to be recharged via the docking
station.

Take a look on Ebay.  I just bought one for a 760ED.  I may end up finding it somewhere in the house and it too will be a=
vailable for sale.

2.  I have some space insode the laptop and I was considering putting
in another hard drive.  How difficult would something like that be?
How expensive?  Obviously I don't want to put a lot of money into a
used system but I've been very pleased with this IBM and if it's not
going to cost an arm and a leg - and the rights to my first-born :)  -
I'd like to do some minor upgrades.

Bill Morrow (Bill@thinkpads.com) has frames for sale.  I may have an extra frame from the 760ED after I figure out how to=
 remove the hard drive.  The 760 series are limited to no more than 6.4GB hard drives.

3.  I need a CDROM.  I think in my own case an external model makes
the most sense.  That way I could use it on both the laptop and my
desktop system.  Does IBM even offer an external model - preferrably a
CD-RW vs. a straight CDROM - that would be truly portable as I've
described?

Suggest getting an external CD-RW.  They are available from many sources, to include EBay.  Using an external drive with =
Linux can prove to be an exercise in 'stress management'.

First post to the list.  Just like to add that I've always had "good
experiences" with IBM and it really doesn't surpise me all that much
to see them supporting Linux.  Kudos for that.

I am on my fifth personally owned Thinkpad.  I'm looking to buy a second hard drive and battery for it.  No money is the =
reason I have not bought them yet.

James Mckenzie