[ltp] How to configure X11 for 256 colors on a TP370C ?

Nils Weisensee linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:18:36 +0200

Hi!

I have a Thinkpad 370C with an LCD that is capable of displaying 256
colors at a resolution of 640x480. But I cant get it working. It doesnt matter if I use
XFree86 Version 3.3.1 or XFree86 Version 4 - the problem persists at
both of them.

Is there anybody who can give me detailed information wich version of
XFree86 I should use and how to configure the XF86Config? I think I
already found everything thats out there in the internet dealing with
this topic and I tried a lot of different settings, but there are always
only 16 colors displayed.

When starting the XServer, there appear no errormessages, everything
seems to be right. But when starting icewm or fvwm95, they dont display
256 colors :-(

I am running SuSE Linux 7.3

thx for the help!
bye

NilS

PS: I guess the chip wich is used in the 370C is the wd90c24. I tried
the correct chipset and the svga-driver and a few different combinations
of clocksetting and modelines that I found on the net.