[ltp] two questions -- 600E / X / RAM

Mark Nye linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:50:00 -0400

Hi All,

Two questions:

One------------------------------

I posted a month or so ago about a problem I was having with X crashing
on my 600E running RH7.2. A number of you replied and/or contacted me
directly about this problem (thanks!), and I wanted you all to know that I've
found a solution:

One line added to the "Device" section of XF86Config-4...

Option          "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill"
(This came from Thomas Hood's "Linux on an IBM Thinkpad 600 and 600X" page.)

The difference was extreme. I went from 3 or 4 X hangs a day to zero crashes
since I updated XF86Config-4 over three weeks ago. Now, I'm completely happy
to accept that this DOES work, and leave it at that. But...does anyone happen
to know WHY it works...?

Does anyone have any input on what should be considered a minimum amount of
memory for running Linux with the KDE desktop?

I started with 64MB, and have recently added another 64MB. The extra memory,
in conjunction with weeding out my unneeded processes, has made an
improvement--but the system still seems to be a bit sluggish. WilI I see a
difference if I add more RAM, or should I be barking up a different tree?

all the best,
Mark