[ltp] two questions -- 600E / X / RAM

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:06:51 +0200

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:10:58 -0500
Rob Bell <RobDBell@netscape.net> wrote:

> tino.keitel@innominate.com wrote:
>
> > 128 MB should be enough for KDE, I won't run much faster with 256 MB. There is
> > nothing you can do, KDE _is_ damn slow.
>

> So what would you recommend as a faster environment?

I have heard KDE3 is faster than 2.2. Maybe you could try this. If you really need an integrated desktop environment, there is only one alternative AFAIK: Gnome. If a simple window manager does fit your needs, I would suggest you WindowMaker (fast, small, GUI for configuration, and tons of those neat dock apps :-)

Tino