[ltp] two questions -- 600E / X / RAM

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:19:55 +0100

Quoting Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@innominate.com>:

<snip>

> > Does anyone have any input on what should be considered a minimum amount of
>
> > memory for running Linux with the KDE desktop?
> >
> > I started with 64MB, and have recently added another 64MB. The extra
> memory,
> > in conjunction with weeding out my unneeded processes, has made an
> > improvement--but the system still seems to be a bit sluggish. WilI I see a
>
> > difference if I add more RAM, or should I be barking up a different tree?
>
> 128 MB should be enough for KDE, I won't run much faster with 256 MB. There
> is
> nothing you can do, KDE _is_ damn slow.

This is true.... KDE is nice if you're moving from a Win 95 type interface, in
that you have a button in the corner which provides a list of programs, and
some of the applets are nice too, but if you want a performance increase, try
another windowmanager. Enlightenment is good.... but the fastest I've ever used
is FluxBox. You don't even get any idea that it's loading, it just appears!

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james-at-jamesholden.co.uk