list configuration problem x(was Re: (OFF LIST) Re: [ltp] Detailed Linux on ThinkPad FAQ)

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
17 Apr 2002 15:40:59 -0500

+---------- On Apr 17, Bill Byrom said:
> These referenced websites like your response are only opinions of the
> respective authors and aren't based on a standard of any kind.

I never claimed otherwise. I merely offered them as corroborating
opinions.

> Every mailing
> list I belong operate in the exact manner that this one does.

I'm on several that operate otherwise.

> If you wish to respond directly to the author only you need merely manually
> enter the e-mail address as it appears in the "From" header.

That is bad UI design.

Most Unix mail programs (dunno about other platforms) have two ways
to reply to messages: reply-to-sender and reply-to-all. Mailing list
subscribers want to respond to list messages in two ways: just to the
sender, or to the whole list. Rather than matching up mailer functions
to common user goals in the obvious way, you want to make both mailer
functions do the same thing (reply-to-all) and require manual address
manipulation for the other case.