list configuration problem (was Re: (OFF LIST) Re: [ltp] Detailed Linux on ThinkPad FAQ)

Dr. Edmund Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
17 Apr 2002 23:40:19 +0200

"Rob Mayoff" <mayoff@dqd.com> writes:

> The mailing list manager should not set Reply-to at all. It should
> leave the From address as the original sender, and the To address as
> the list address. That way, list subscribers can "reply" to reply to
> just the original sender, or they can "reply to all" to reply to the
> entire list.

It is true that leaving the Reply-to header untouched will give you
two choices but I think that both of them are bad:

1. Using the "reply" option to reply to the sender only is something I
   almost _never_ do on mailing lists. That's why it is a mailing list
   after all - the answer should usually be as interesting to the
   whole list as the question is. In the _very_ rare cases where I
   actually want to reply to the sender only I consider it a minor
   inconvenience that I have to modify the headers manually (in Gnus).

2. Using the "reply-all" option will always result in the original
   sender getting two copies of the answer - one sent to the list and
   one sent directly to his email address. I have experienced this far
   too often and think it is annoying. In fact, on mailing lists where
   the Reply-to header is not set I use Gnus' "wide reply" feature and
   then manually manipulate the headers to make sure the OP gets only
   one reply from me.

In short, I'd be happy if we would leave it as it is.

Just my $.02,
Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz