[ltp] two questions -- 600E / X / RAM

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:33:04 -0400

I've run KDE on machines with as little as 32 MB. That WAS really painfull.
64 is better, 96 seems OK if you don't run certain HOG programs like
Netscape/Mozilla. I'd say if you are up at 128 or higher you probably aren't
too much bound by memory for performance with KDE, though with 128 you will
still want to watch running too much extra stuff.

I think even on the fastest machines KDE can sometimes seem a bit slow. Same
for Gnome. The fact is, despite all RMS and these guys protestations to the
contrary, commercial software vendors like MS have a huge advantage in
performance tuning their stuff.

For instance MS VC++ 6.x generates machine code that is between 130% and 200%
more efficient than GCC 2.9.x does. That means that even with code that is
identical in basic efficiency, Windows will be almost 2x as zippy on any
given hardware. Drivers are almost always better for windws as well, since
vendors actually care about it.

In addition OSS projects just don't focus on speed and efficiency. KDE 3.0
has a more optimized startup sequence for instance, and it gains like 200% in
speed on startup over 2.2.2, with just minor optimization. MS can spend a
billion $ on optimizing how their desktop starts up. Its a sad fact, but KDE
is a bit slow, and a bit unstable, and so is Gnome, and its not likely ever
to change.

If you want a good small window manager, try ICEWM. It is pretty darn memory
efficient and it has most features you will really need.