[ltp] fast IR

Chris Hegan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
19 Apr 2002 14:37:07 +1200

Hello there. I have not been monitoring the list recently, and browsing
back, I noticed what seemed to be a 'dangling question'. I don't know if
you have solved your problem.

I have a Thinkpad 390X. After a huge amount of messing around I finally
have my Palm syncing at 57,600.
Here are what I hope will be the helpful bits, which may or may not be
useful to you. You will probably need different specific settings but
the following might give you some helpful clues.

Use the 'findchip' utility to get the spec for your chip (part of
IRDA-utils.)

>From my /etc/modules.conf:
### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/irda
#modutils/irda
alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty
alias char-major-60 ircomm_tty

# for dongle
alias irda-dongle-0 tekram
alias irda-dongle-1 esi
alias irda-dongle-2 actisys
alias irda-dongle-3 actisys
alias irda-dongle-4 girbil
alias irda-dongle-5 litelink
alias irda-dongle-6 airport
alias irda-dongle-7 old_belkin

# for FIR device
alias irda0 nsc-ircc dongle_id=0x09 io=0x2f8

Environment variables:
export PILOTPORT="/dev/ircomm0"
export PILOTRATE="57600"

An executable script:

#!/bin/bash
setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
modprobe irda insmod nsc_ircc dongle_id=0x09
ifconfig irda0 up
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery

YOu can put something like this in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts (to stop
PCMCIA modem from grabbing the IRQ)

# Resources we should not use, even if they appear to be available

# First built-in serial port
exclude irq 4
# IR serial port
exclude irq 3
# First built-in parallel port
exclude irq 7
#Exclude IRQ for sound device
exclude irq 5

(My PCMCIA modem grabbing the IRQ was what stopped me succeeding for a
long time. I stumbled across the solution by accident - ejected the card
and the IR suddenly started working!)

Good luck.

>On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 04:40, Tom Allison wrote:
> IBM A21m:
>
> Everything that I have indicates that irda (this is for a Palm Pilot
> link) goes through the serial devices.
> The fastest that I can get these set to is the 115k.
> But I was under the impression that the ir port can do 4M.
>
> How can I set this?

Chris Hegan
General Manager
Asterisk Ltd

Talk:		+64 9 302 1777; 021 276 9663
Fax:		+64 9 302 1775
Write:		chrish@asterisk.co.nz
Browse:		www.asterisk.co.nz
Visit:		Studio 3, 125 Grafton Rd, Grafton, AUCKLAND
Post:		PO Box 78-247, Grey Lynn, AUCKLAND

Simple, brilliant Linux solutions