[ltp] self-made external battery for laptops project

Bart-Jan Vrielink linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
19 Apr 2002 10:49:08 +0200

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 04:41, peter nol wrote:

> Hi all i recently got an IBM 600 thinkpad at an auction with a dead battery.
> The price for severall cells and a chip sealed in plastic called "a custom
> laptop battery" is ridiculous, so i decided to make my own.
> Googling got me to this page
> where it is described how to make an external battery from a 12v camcorder
> battery sold in radioshack for $40
> And "fool" the laptop to think that it's a
> http://www.fixup.net/tips/battery/battery.htm
>
> I am also looking into the idea of using a small motorcicle 12v battery.
> I will probably use the AC plug in the laptop.

I would also use the AC plug, because I don't know how the laptop will
react to a battery without a charge indicator.

> Looking for advice/opinion.
> Does the thinkpad require 16 volts for the plug to operate or
> is 12 volts adequate and you just have to trick it into starting to use the
> 12 volts- like with the libretto?

I don't know the exact voltage range the 600 will work on, but I have
used my 600 with an Olivetti 18V power supply for months and now use a
Toshiba (Tecra 8000) power supply that has a 15 V output.
This is enough to charge my battery. I do not know if 12 V is enough to
boot the laptop.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan