[ltp] self-made external battery for laptops project

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:16:56 +0100

AFAIK the battery has a microprocessor in it.

You're better off supplying power through the AC adaptor socket in the back for
3 good reasons:

1) The laptop knows nothing of where the power is coming from.

2) The AC input is probably better protected than the battery inputs.

3) You're unlikely to get a better battery life from some homebrew, lead-
acid/NiCad thing than an advanced Lithium-Ion battery made by the manufacturer,
so why try to reinvent the wheel? Of course, we could go down some whole
alternative energy route, but the AC adaptor inlet is probably the best way to
go, even then.

By the way, had anybody heard of the wind-up laptop PSU? (No, I'm not winding
you up!)

James

Quoting Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@innominate.com>:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 05:31:21 -0400, peter nol wrote:
> > How about the battery contacts? anyone tried connecting non-standard
> > batteries to them? I searched the list and didn't find anything, but then
>
> > again i might have missed it. My apologies in that case.
>
> I think this are not only power contacts because there is some sort of
> "ingelligent life" inside the battery, maybe there is some communication
> with
> the ThinkPad.
>
> Tino
>
> --
> tino.keitel@innominate.com
> dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG
> software engineer                                   networking people
> tel: +49.30.6392-3308                      http://www.innominate.com/

James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james-at-microcosmos.co.uk
In a world without boundaries, who needs Gates?