[ltp] ultrabase x2 warm-docking?

J Lentin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:29:06 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Eric Jorgensen wrote:

>On 19 Apr 2002 14:10:49 -0700
>Karl Klashinsky <klash@cisco.com> wrote:
>
>> Your setup is very similar to mine: x21 w/ ultrabay/dvd/floppy,
>> RH-7.2+Ximian Desktop.  I have also been experimenting with the
>> dock/undock ability, and getting similar problems.  I'm still running
>> the original RedHat-shipped kernel.  I was hoping a kernel upgrade and
>> custom config would help solve some prob's, but, based on your report,
>> probably not.
>
>	Well, I have some ideas. The ide-cd driver is a module, maybe i should unload
>it at suspend and reload it at resume if scandvd returns 0 (success)? *shrug*.
>It's possible tpctl has something that will help.

I've got a 770X with debian on it, and I've been playing with
hotswapping in my ultrabay also- I hadn't got anywhere for ages, then I
noticed a solution (almost) under my nose.

hdparm (for those not in the know, a utility to fine-tune things like
DMA transfers for your harddrive, with a debian package), comes with a
script called 'ultrabayd'.  Using a combination of hdparm & tpctl, this
does roughly what you've been trying to do with enabling and disabling the
IDE bus / FDD bus automagically- all you do is leave it running.  This
has given me by far the most success- I can take out my DVD drive,
interchanging it with a FDD fine.  The BIOS only
lets me interchange it with another HDD when I'm in ACPI mode, however
when I do, it recognises it, and fires it up, getting the model and
anything-- then the kernel panics.  I haven't had time to play with it
any further.

In short, give this script a go- It'll be interesting what happens on
your laptop (sync those drives first).......