[ltp] self-made external battery for laptops project

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:20:26 +0100

Is a fuse going to help? Just that there are many instances of power
supplies "containing suicidal transistors that give up their lives to
save the fuse". Seriously, fuses are their to prevent fires. But they
take ~seconds to blow. Whereas a high voltage ignition-spike can only
last 100 microseconds and kill things in that time!

I would recommend you add the following to your protection circuit:

INPUT +                                                  OUTPUT +

0--------[--X--]------+------------+-----------+-----------0
                       |            |           |
           fuse        |            |           |
                       |      zener |           |
                       |            |   /       |
                     __|__       /-----/     _______ +
                     \   /      /  / \                 capacitor
              diode   \ /         /   \      _______
                     -----        -----         |
                       |            |           |
                       |            |           |
                       |            |           |
                       |            |           |
                       |            |           |
0---------------------+------------+-----------+-----------0
INPUT GND                                               OUTPUT GND

The diode is there to prevent against reverse polarity. Rather than have
it in series with the circuit (which would waste 0.7V), put it in
reverse parallel. Then, if the power supply is reversed, this diode will
short-circuit, and blow the fuse. Note - you need a pretty hefty diode
to short out a car battery! At least 20x the current rating of the fuse.
You might also want a series diode as well for a better safety margin,
if you can afford the 0.7V drop.

The zener is rated at a little over the voltage you expect to supply to
your laptop. It will help with surges and over-voltages. Again, in
normal use, it should not conduct, and the aim is to protect the laptop
by crowbar-ing the supply for long enough that the fuse will blow.

The capacitor will also halp absorb spikes, as well as smoothing the
supply. Don't make it too large, or it will overload something else at
start-up. But don't make it too small either. You need a sufficiently
high voltage rating (perhaps 33V or more), and it needs to be good
quality (eg Audio grade). You might do well to make it from an
electrolytic and a smaller non-electrolytic in parallel.
[I recently built a switch mode supply, used a cheap electrolytic, and
the high frequency pulses were not well absorbed by the cap. Result:
capacitor went high-impedance, and bye-bye to the switcher IC. In the
process, my circuit got fried too!].

Sorry if I'm boring anyone now :-)

Good luck

Richard