[ltp] self-made external battery for laptops project

peter nol linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:57:52 -0400

Well i think once i put the how to out there it's definetely going to grow- a
lot of people are unsatisfied with the 10=times profits made on simple
accessories to laptops /like batteries and the like/

> This is an interesting idea.  Maybe a cottage industry in the making.  Have
> you considered to 9 volt batteries in series??
I looked into it- 9 volt with bigger amps are pretty hard to come by,
although two of them WOULD be the perfect match- 16 volts /that's the voltage
marked on the AC adapter/
I'll check out some more catalogs and see how well-spread this type of
batteries is.

So far these are the options/ideas for a self made portable battery
ideas both from this list and the net
---12 volts---
1)use a 12 volt battery - laptop works fine without cdrom
+EASY nothing to add/change
+CHEAP - just the battery
-no cdrom
-unstable
2) 12 volt battery with an DC to AC adapter /12v up to 110v/
+SAFE double safety- two adapters
+ EASY nothing to change- assemble
-BULK two bulky adapters to carry around plus battery
- PRICE adapter by IBM costs up to a 100. Retail store adapters around 60$
3)12V battery with IBM's car battery adapter /or any 12v to 16v/
+SAFE
+EASY nothing to change- assemble
+LIGHT /skip out the 12v to 110v to 16v with version 2)/
-PRICE dapter by IBM costs up to a 100. Retail store adapters around 60$
4) self made converter 12v to 16v
+LIGHT
+CHEAP /all parts 10$ or less when using an old VCR or the like/
-ASSEMBLY /have to solder and know safety/
-UNSAFE /you have to know what you're doing/
---16volts---
+standard ThinkPad current
-batteries harder to come by
SUMMARY
there are plenty of options to choose from.
I think using a 12 v or 16 volt battery with a fuse and current prottector is
probably the way to go.
Have to collect information on the safety of lead/acid batteries /maybe they
can be used without a protective curcuit. maybe not./
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks to all for their comments.