[ltp] sound chipset, and ALSA

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:24:13 -0600

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:28:08 +0200
Alister <bimble@superbimble.com> wrote:

> J.J.Green wrote:

<Snip!>
> This is seriously weird... the modprobe snd-cs4236 works...
<Snip!>
> but I can't find a mixer to work they either report that the ALSA driver
> was not found, or that it cant find a mixer.
> if I try and use esdplay it cant find /dev.dsp, if I try aplay:
>
> 454 gt bimble $ aplay  /usr/lib/bx/wav/notify_ZnO.wav
> Aplay: version 0.5.10 by Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
> Error: unable to obtain longname: No such device
>
> I suspect it's something stupidly simple... anyone care to give me a hint?

	There are two different versions of ALSA floating around out there. There's the
stable 0.5 branch, and the developmental 0.9 branch.

	The stable branch uses snd-card-whatever, the developmental branch uses
snd-whatever.

	You loaded snd-cs4236, so your alsa devices adhere to the 0.9 version of the
ALSA api.

	I'm guessing you have alsa libs and utilities based on 0.5, which won't be able
to use your devices with 0.9 drivers.

	The quick, less then ideal fix is to also load snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss
and pretend you have a kernel sound driver.

	You could also see if you can rip out the libs and tools and install the
development versions, but this gets hairy - for instance, on debian/woody
currently, if you feel like using esd, you have to either use oss emulation or
alsa 0.5, because they only have libesd built for oss and for alsa 0.5, and it
can't use alsa 0.9 devices.

 - Eric