[ltp] ultrabase x2 warm-docking?

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:22:17 -0600

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:29:06 +0100 (BST)
J Lentin <jl99@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>
> >On 19 Apr 2002 14:10:49 -0700
> >Karl Klashinsky <klash@cisco.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Your setup is very similar to mine: x21 w/ ultrabay/dvd/floppy,
> >> RH-7.2+Ximian Desktop.  I have also been experimenting with the
> >> dock/undock ability, and getting similar problems.  I'm still running
> >> the original RedHat-shipped kernel.  I was hoping a kernel upgrade and
> >> custom config would help solve some prob's, but, based on your report,
> >> probably not.
> >
> >	Well, I have some ideas. The ide-cd driver is a module, maybe i should
> >	unload it at suspend and reload it at resume if scandvd returns 0
> >	(success)? *shrug*. It's possible tpctl has something that will help.
>
> I've got a 770X with debian on it, and I've been playing with
> hotswapping in my ultrabay also- I hadn't got anywhere for ages, then I
> noticed a solution (almost) under my nose.
>
> hdparm (for those not in the know, a utility to fine-tune things like
> DMA transfers for your harddrive, with a debian package), comes with a
> script called 'ultrabayd'.  Using a combination of hdparm & tpctl, this
> does roughly what you've been trying to do with enabling and disabling the
> IDE bus / FDD bus automagically- all you do is leave it running.  This
> has given me by far the most success- I can take out my DVD drive,
> interchanging it with a FDD fine.  The BIOS only
> lets me interchange it with another HDD when I'm in ACPI mode, however
> when I do, it recognises it, and fires it up, getting the model and
> anything-- then the kernel panics.  I haven't had time to play with it
> any further.

	Well, it's great that it works for you folks, but . .

	Even with ultrabayd presumably working properly, Still no dice with the
ultrabase. Oh, sure, happy things get said about the drive and all, but it still
doesn't work, and any program that tries to access it zombies immediately.

	I presume this has something to do with the fact that I'm removing the whole
bay, not just a device in a bay.

 - Eric