[ltp] can't see USB CD-ROM

Phil R Lawrence linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
25 Apr 2002 10:30:45 -0400

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 02:54, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 14:38:34 -0400, Phil R Lawrence wrote:

> > OK, I have built a custom kernel and it is working. I added the USB
> > and SCSI stuff as told in USB HOWTO. ( I removed nothing from the
> > kernal in make menuconfig. )
> >
> > There are a few issues... :-)

> > 2.  My USB mouse does not work under X. (I'll leave Mandrake's gpm
> >     setup for another post.) Per the HOWTO, I edited
> >     /etc/X11/XF86Config-4...
>
> What version of XFree86 are you using (X -version)? Have you looked
> for a "Pointer" section in you XF86Config(-4) file?

Strangely, XF86Config-4 had been reset to its original form (I diffed it with XF86Config-4 to be sure...)  I think this may be because I invoked some sort of X windows configurator from X at one point...  must have reset it.

I redid the changes (per USB HOWTO) and it works great now!

> > 3.  /var/log/syslog records an error I get when booting... modprobe:
> >     Cant locate module usb-uhci usb: Loading USB interface0
> >     (usb-uhci) failed
> >
> >     per a post to google I modified modules.conf to say alias
> >     usb-interface0 uhci instead of alias usb-interface0 usb-uhci
> >
> >     but that did nothing except change the boot error to: modprobe:
> >     Cant locate module uhci usb: Loading USB interface0 (uhci)
> >     failed
>
> I think the module loader clearly states what's wrong: there is no
> uhci.o in /lib/modules/<you-kernel-version>/. Maybe this is because
> you use the ohci.o module to drive your USB stuff. What does
> /sbin/ldmod say?

I do not have that file under Mandrake 8.2.

However, syslog reports the kernal using usb-uhci.c on boot.  Succesfully!

I think what is happening is that the kernel is using it, but somewhere the system is still also trying to use it as a module...  Of course it does not exist as a module because make modules recognized it was now included with the kernel...

Something else...  I found that the error on boot is being printed by /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb (pretty sure).  I deleted the line
    alias usb-interface0 usb-uhci
from /etc/modules.conf, but I there is a subroutie in /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb (sub sed_usb_interface) which puts it back in again!  I have no idea what is triggering this.  Any ideas?

Phil R Lawrence