[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 on a Thinkpad R30

Richard Neill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:58:59 +0100

Good luck...

The EPROM problem may or may not be fixed (depends who you ask!). At any
rate, all you need to do is check that you DON'T install the lm_sensors
nor glms packages. I recently installed Mdk 8.2 - Mandrake are aware of
this and as a result,  lm_sensors is not installed by default.
(lm_sensors is normally a kde requirement, but Mandrake have
deliberately 'broken' this.)

A quick test is to type 'sensors-dete<tab>' at the prompt. If this
autocompletes to 'sensors-detect', then you are in danger - DO NOT press
enter afterwards! Otherwise, you're probably safe.

As for the hidden partition, Lilo/Grub will sort it out. However, it's
not much use, as if you run it, it will reformat your entire drive back
to factory settings. And it's a waste of space :-)  (You can always
order a recovery CD from IBM if you want one). The other thing is, I
have reinstalled linux twice (once to move from 8.0->8.1, and once to
move 8.1->8.2 and ext2->resierfs. )I had some trouble with sorting out
partitions on the 2nd/3rd installs due to that hidden partition hda2.
In the end, I deleted it, and all ran smoothly.

Best wishes, and enjoy Mandrake!

Richard

P.S. One last recommendation - Mandrake 8.2 comes with Mozilla 0.97. You
can get the latest one (RC1.0) , packaged up for Mandrake via the ftp
mirrors, from the 'Cooker' branch. But, you will save yourself some
hassle with dependencies if you don't install Mozilla at all from the
cdroms.