[ltp] Multi-Session CD problems

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:02:35 -0600

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:15:52 -0400
Emilio Recio <polywog@navpoint.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with my A22m laptop. Basically, I can read/write cd's (via
> ide-scsi) but I cannot write multi-session cd's. I create a multi-session
> imagefile via mkisofs correctly (I tested that same ISO on another similar (os
> wise, HW was a dell desktop) machine - redhat 7.2 / ide-scsi / same up2date
> level etc. and it was burned to the cd just fine.) The cd-rw drive also works
> fine on windows for both multi-session and regular burning.
>
> My laptop however, won't burn the cd correctly. It keeps giving me an error
> with _data_! It doesn't ruin the cd or anything, except that right before it's
> about to write, it gives me the following error (see below). Now the cdrw
> drive is a Sony CRX-700E-F2 282702 it goes in the UltraBay 2000 port. Like I
> said, it works great if you don't issue the -multi on the command line to
> cdrecord or mkisofs. I was wondering if anyone ran into a problem like this.

	Your best bet is to search around the 'net for a firmware update for the drive.
it's a problem with the drive, not with your laptop or with linux. It's not a
big deal, really. pretty common sort of issue. Unless you do something really
wacky like drop the battery and pull the wall power during the update, there's
little to no danger of screwing something up.

	www.nero.com might be a good place to start, they link to updates for a lot of
drives.

 - Eric