[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 on a Thinkpad R30

ZeiMoT linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:32:53 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Keith Frechette wrote:
> 1. Yes - the ThinkPad R30 is susceptible to the serial EEPROM wipe-out if
> lm_sensors is used. If possible, elect to not install lm_sensors.

What exactly is it that lm_sensors does that can/will damage the EEPROM?
I believe it has to write something to the EEPROM in order to damage it,
right? Isn't it possible the to include a memoryprotection into the kernel
so that that memory area isn't writable at all from the linux kernel,
modules and misc software perspective.

If the EEPROM can be damaged by lm_sensors, then it can be damaged by a
trojan or similar in Windows, right ?

> 2. The logic for accessing the recovery partition (i.e. the prompt "Press
> F11 for recovery", or whatever it says) is contained in the master boot
> record. For that reason, I'd recommended installing LILO or GRUB into the
> boot record of the bootable Linux partition, rather than in the master
> boot record of the drive.

I thought of that too, making the linux boot partition active instead of
the windows partition. I still need windows for some games that
does not yet run in wineX, otherwise I wouldn't have cared about that
recovery install.

  -=< ZeiMoT >=-

    /              zeimot@astrakan.hig.se               \