[ltp] refresh rate

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:01:09 -0400

You're probably using, XFree86 Version 4.  The docs say that version 4
includes standard
VESA timings.  It should pick the fastest refresh for the resolution you
have selected.  I'm not sure if the standard timings go faster than 85MHz.

To make a modeline, try the nice web interface here:
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/

You should be able to specify a resolution and refresh frequency that
you know to work from Windows and get something decent.

The long style modeline arranges the numbers like so

Modeline "identifier" dotclock HT1 HT2 HT3 HT4 VT1 VT2 VT3 VT4

If you are using XFree86 version 4, you'll add the modeline to the
Monitor section of the config file.  Here's an example where I have
defined two new modes:

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier  "Monitor_Right"
     Option "DPMS"
     HorizSync   31.5 - 95.0
     VertRefresh 40-150
     Mode "1400x1120"     # 1400x1120 @ 80Hz,  93.36 kHz hsync
        DotClock    182.24
        HTimings 1400 1448 1632 1952
        VTimings  1120 1124 1128 1167
     EndMode
     Mode "1600x1200"     # 1600x1200 @ 72Hz,  89.71 kHz hsync
        DotClock    197.37
        HTimings  1600 1656 1856 2200
        VTimings  1200 1204 1208 1246
     EndMode
EndSection

Then in the Screen section you say what mode(s) you want to use:

Section "Screen"              # the left monitor is contected to plug 2
     Identifier  "Screen_Right"
     Device      "G450_2"
     Monitor     "Monitor_Right"
     DefaultDepth   24