[ltp] DMA?

Steve Tell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 20:07:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Jon Tabor wrote:

> But, there's a problem -- when I reboot, the DMA gets turned off.  I've
> taken to adding /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom to a small script that starts
> Ogle, but I want a better solution.

If RedHat 7.3 does things the same way as 7.2 (likely), then
either edit /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, or else create seperate files
/etc/sysconfig/harddiskhda, /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhdb, etc. for each
magnetic or cd/dvd disk drive.   Uncomment the line "USE_DMA=1" .

Brief instructions for this are contained comments in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
and in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks

Redhat provides GUI tools to edit most files in /etc/sysconfig - not sure
if they do for "harddisks".  But using a text editor is usually faster.

Steve

--
Steve Tell  tell@telltronics.org