[ltp] apm and preemptive kernel patch

Fabrice Planchon linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:19:07 +0200

On Sun Aug 04 2002 at 10:56:46PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> The apm driver in the kernel is not SMP safe.
> I would conclude, therefore, that it is not preempt
> safe either.

well, interestingly enough, it looks like I screwed up when compiling
my kernel with preempt enabled, and left SMP enabled, which resulted
in APM not working. Since then, I have recompiled with SMP off and
preempt on, and things seem to work. Some guy on the swsusp mailing
list (software suspend patch) said the preempt patch was not using the
part of the SMP code that was offending to APM and that it should work
(in fact, it works equally well with the swsusp patch, which I
recommend to people having trouble with hibernation, it seems to have
reached a stable state).

                            F.