[ltp] One More Question: Drivelink

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:28:09 +0200

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:28:26 -0400, surferjeff@excite.com wrote:

> It looks like it's supposed to copy the contents of your hard disk to
> your new hard disk.  Does it copy the boot sector and all the core
> Windows stuff too?  If my laptop only has room for one hard drive,
> how does it copy to the other drive?

Why do you want to buy software if you can get it for free? All you
need is a network card end enough space on another machine. You can use
tar to backup the contents of your old hard disk using the free space
on the remote machine (e.g. using netcat (nc) or NFS), replace it with
the new hard disk and use a floppy based Linux that contains network
support and tar (e.g. the Debian install disks) to restore the contents
of the old hard disk to the new one. I have to admit that this requires
some experience.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG