[ltp] One More Question: Drivelink

Ross Patterson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:39:13 -0400

On Monday 05 August 2002 03:28 am, Tino Keitel wrote:
> Why do you want to buy software if you can get it for free?

I can't speak for the other poster, but in my case there are several reasons.

	1) We've got more than just Linux here in the office.  The business folks
need Windows, the tech folks need Linux and our job is building a device that
runs NetBSD.  Luckily, we run NetBSD under VMWare, so I don't have to worry
about that one.  Good thing, too - try to find *ANY* disk-management software
that supports ffs filesystems!

	2) I want and need an exact copy of the disk.  Copying with tar gets you
close, but symlinks wind up being recreated instead of restored (e.g., dates
get changed).

> I have to admit that this requires
> some experience.

Yup, not something I'd give my CEO to run :-)
--
Ross A. Patterson
CatchFIRE Systems, Inc.