[ltp] One More Question: Drivelink

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:09:22 +0200

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:39:13 -0400, Ross Patterson wrote:
> On Monday 05 August 2002 03:28 am, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > Why do you want to buy software if you can get it for free?
>
> I can't speak for the other poster, but in my case there are several reasons.
>
> 	1) We've got more than just Linux here in the office.  The business folks
> need Windows, the tech folks need Linux and our job is building a device that
> runs NetBSD.  Luckily, we run NetBSD under VMWare, so I don't have to worry
> about that one.  Good thing, too - try to find *ANY* disk-management software
> that supports ffs filesystems!

Have you tried partimage? It should support ext2, reiser, FAT16/32 and
NTFS. However, I don't know if it features a restore over the network
to a clean hard drive.

> 	2) I want and need an exact copy of the disk.  Copying with tar gets you
> close, but symlinks wind up being recreated instead of restored (e.g., dates
> get changed).

OK, you are right.

> > I have to admit that this requires
> > some experience.
>
> Yup, not something I'd give my CEO to run :-)
> --
> Ross A. Patterson
> CatchFIRE Systems, Inc.
> 5885 Trinity Parkway, Suite 220
> Centreville, VA  20120
> (703) 563-4164

tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG
software engineer                                   networking people
tel: +49.30.6392-3308                      http://www.innominate.com/