[ltp] UltraNav on new T30s?

Ben Pfaff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
06 Aug 2002 01:13:35 -0700

I just got a new ThinkPad T30 a couple of days ago.  One of the
issues with it is that I cannot get the middle mouse button on
the integrated "UltraNav" pointing device, which incorporates
both a TrackPoint and a touch pad, to work properly.  In fact, if
I do a hex dump of /dev/psaux to the console, nothing at all
registers when I repeatedly click the middle button.

Unfortunately, the UltraNav protocol is not the TrackPoint
protocol at all.  In fact, it is almost, but not quite, the
protocol used by Synaptics TouchPads, which makes a bit of sense
because at least the touch pad part of the UltraNav was designed
by Synaptics according to a Synaptics press release.  But the
Synaptics protocol doesn't have anything in it about enabling or
disabling a middle button, so it's not too helpful.

Has anyone had any luck with the UltraNav?  Or can anyone give me
a contact at IBM?  I've already emailed Synaptics, but not
received an answer, and so I'm starting to wonder if trying IBM
is a better bet.

Thanks,

Ben.

--
"...I've forgotten where I was going with this,
 but you can bet it was scathing."