[ltp] T30 webpage

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
6 Aug 2002 16:46:06 -0500

+---------- On Aug 6, Ben Pfaff said:
> > I saw you mentioned the extra buttons by the arrow keys - I think under
> > windows those are supposed to do the same thing as the back and forward
> > buttons in a browser, once you have a webpage open.
>
> Ah.  My plan, after making the kernel aware of these keys, is
> probably to make them switch consoles, or possibly between tabs
> in Mozilla.

This will assign keycodes 126 and 127 to the back and forward keys in
the kernel's keymap:

    setkeycodes e06a 126 e069 127

You'll need to set up X separately. X doesn't need the kernel to have
keycodes assigned to those keys; it reads the keyboard in "raw" mode and
assigns its own keycodes. Use this to assign keysyms F19 and F20 to the
keys:

    xmodmap -e 'keycode 234 = F19'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 233 = F20'

Binding those keys to tab switching in Mozilla will require xul hacking.
Binding them to changing VTs is easier. This will make those keys switch
VTs, when you're in a text console (not X):

    echo 'keycode 126 = Decr_Console' | loadkeys
    echo 'keycode 127 = Incr_Console' | loadkeys

Then you can use your window manager to bind those keysyms to shell
scripts that switch VTs.  Note that chvt must run as root, so you'll
need to use something sudo or a setuid program in those scripts.