[ltp] how to format HD after having been used in Linux for MS windows

Richard Griffith linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:02:01 -0400

Bert Haskins wrote:

> !!! NOTE !!! These will effectively kill all programs and data on your hard
> drive!!!
>
> (1) Try fdisk /MBR to reset the master boot record.
>       Then use fdisk to setup your windows partition.
>       Set the first partition active.
>
> (2) If this does not work download Drive fitness test from IBM
>      and use the option to zero out the master boot record
> -- Bert
>
> Tawee Laoitichote wrote:
>
> > I have a 10-gig hard disk on my tp600E laptop and it had been installed
> > totally space to linux. Then, one day I realized that I should install it as
> > dual systems, 50% disk space to linux and the other to mswindows. But, my
> > recovery disk (from IBM) takes me one day in formatting  without any
> > success. If, I turn back to 100% space for linux, it works OK.
> > Any help to recover my fat32 format.

EXTRA DISCLAIMER: backup anything you want to save before doing
anything!

The problem will be that the Windows fdisk will only work with Windows
style partitions. You can use a linux tool like fdisk or parted to open
up partionable space on the drive, or use a linux command like

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

to clear out the partion table (and MBR) space completely before using
the MS fdisk. The problem is that the Windows tools won't work with
non-windows partition types; even an os/2 partiton can be an obstacle.
The linux tools are much more flexible. I tend to keep a copy of
tomsrtbt (see http://www.toms.net/rb/ ) handy even in an all MS shop,
just for occasions like this.

Good luck,
-Richard