[ltp] Removing Grub

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:36:33 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 05:29:45 -0700, Tim Prince wrote:
> On Sunday 11 August 2002 07:31, Justin Nichomoff wrote:
> > Is there any way to remove the Grub bootloader and replace it with the
> > Windows (NT / 2k / XP) bootloader? I'd like to accomplish this without
> > wiping out either my Windows or Linux partitions.  Is it possible?
> >
> > 	Justin
> Replace the Windows MBR either from the backup copy made by your linux
> installation (if you did it just once) or by booting from an XP installation

If you already trashed your Linux with the recovery CD, you will have
no backup of the old bootblock. If Linux is still present, lilo -u will
restore the MBR using a backup, but GRUB doesn't make backups of the
boot block. Maybe some clever Linux distribuition handles this case.

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG