[ltp] RedHat 7.3 on IBM ThinkPad 600E

JC WOODWARD linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:50:47 -0400

Hi Pino,

I'm a newbie at all this (purchased a used TP600X a couple of weeks ago,
started lurking on this list a couple of weeks ago, and have only limited
experience with Linux).  But since no one has replied to your query and I
believe my  -limited- experience may be of use, I'll take a plunge and post
the following.  I'm assuming your 600E is substantially identical to my
600X.

>Works very good but I have problems with hibernate and/or suspend !

Invoking the standby / suspend / hibernate features with the FnF3 / FnF4 /
FnF12 keys is implemented in hardware so it doesn't matter what OS yor are
running.  Works the same with Windows, Linux, whatever.   Do you still have
Win98 on your TP?  If so, it's well documented at START > Programs >
ThinkPad 600 > TP600 Users Guide > Index > "Power Management".

The big thing they don't tell you is how to use the PS2.EXE ThinkPad
configuration utility.  At a DOS prompt type "PS2 ?" for a long list of all
the things you can adjust.  Type "PS2 ? HFILE" to learn how to setup the
hibernation file which is a prerequisite for hibernation to work.  Others
have recently posted ideas on re-installing PS2 if you have lost it.

Since I was a bit nervous about having the hardware laying down large
amounts of date into a partition containing valuable data, I created a
separate partition on the hard drive sized to be somewhat bigger than the
sum of my RAM plus my video RAM, formated as Windows FAT32.  Reboot and this
shows up as a new drive D: which you have to format.  Finally, at the DOS
prompt type "PS2 HFILE D" which fills that partition with the single
(hidden) file PM_HIBER.BIN.  Now FnF12 will work -  even in Linux.

>I wish to install RH 7.3... some suggestions for me ???

I just installed RH7.3 and it went without a hiccup. Not even a sniffle.

When asked, describe your devices as follows:
. Mouse as PS2 3-button (your third "scroll" button will act like the middle
  button of a 3-button mouse)
. Keyboard as Microsoft Natural keyboard, multi-keys enabled.
. Monitor as Generic Laptop 1024X768 LCD.
. Video card - the hardware probe correctly identified it, just accept.

At partition time I selected to partition my disk manually with Disk Druid.
I left my Windows and hibernatae paritions intact and added the following
partitions:
 .  50Mb boot
 . 512Mb swap
 . 4000Mb root

At package selection time, check the "Select individual packages" box.  This
will allow you to accept the entire default selection yet confirm that
lm-sensors will NOT be installed.  On the next screen select Flat View which
shows all packaged alphabetically by name.  Scroll down to lm-sensors and
confirm that it is not checked.

>I don't want destroy my notebook with lm_sensors... :-(

See above - it won't even be installed. :-)

>Can you send me a little 'step by step' installation guide ???

I think I just did.  The entire rest of the installation was no more
challenging than acccepting suggested defaults and watching it run by
itself!  If you have any questions e-mail me.

Regards,

JC